Thursday, June 16, 2011

My Frank Lloyd Life

I don't remember when I first fell in love with Frank Lloyd Wright. It wasn't the first time I saw one of his works, which was the Guggenheim in New York City in 2001 or 2002. I am not even sure I knew who designed the building at that time, but I was interested enough to go in and observe the cylindrical atrium even though we weren't staying for the art. Architecture has always been of interest to me, and I thought of it as a career option (Until I realized my obsessive compulsive tendencies would require all my structures to be symmetrical. Where's the fun in that?) if only for a fleeting moment.

The first time I visited a FLW-designed home was in July 2007. I was preparing to move to Georgia and had an Ohio bucket list, all the things I wanted to do before I left. Somehow, visiting Falling Water in Bear Run, Penn., ended up on that list. The I.N. Hagan house, also known as The House at Kentuck Knob, is nearby so it was tacked on as well. As soon as I laid eyes on Falling Water, I was smitten, and the Hagan house sealed the deal.

The rest, my friends, is history. I've since watched five (six?) documentaries, read three books and visited nearly 30 buildings, and it's only the beginning. I Call Him Frank is a chronicle of those experiences and the many, many more to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment